For this recipe I wanted to make enough for some freezer meals- so this recipe is HUGE! It ended up making a large dish for us tonight as well as 3- 9×13 pans for the freezer. If you have a big party or group to feed I highly recommend this recipe! Cost wise it’s always cheaper (and a time saver) to multiply ingredients once and make extra than to make the same meal individually… here’s the break down to show you: also keep in mind, I stock up on ingredients when they’re on sale so the prices listed are the sale price I purchased them at.
- Ground beef- $4 (I didn’t want it too meaty so I just did a little over a pound)
- 6 boxes of thick & hearty pasta (12 oz each)- I got these for 44 cents/box $2.64
- 5 jars of spaghetti sauce- 89 cents each- $4.45
- 5 cans of stewed tomatoes- 39 cents each- $1.95
- 1 tub of cottage cheese- $1.39
- 1/2 a large back of mozzarella cheese- $5.50
- 1/3 a bag of parmesan cheese from Costco- $3.50 (rounding up)
So the grand total spent for this meal- $23.43 making each meal= $5.86! Not bad for how much it made! If you are going to make this big of a batch you will need a LARGE bowl or pan to mix it all in. The bowl I used was a Tupperware Super That’s-a-bowl and is 59 cups! I put a k-cup next to it for a size comparison.
- 6 boxes of pasta (12 oz- I used thick & hearty)
- 5 cubes beef bullion
- Salt (about 1-3 T)
- 1 1/2 lbs of ground beef
- Italian Seasoning
- 5 cans stewed tomatoes
- 5 jars spaghetti sauce
- 1- 16 oz tub cottage cheese
- 5 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 c. shredded parmesan cheese
First you will want to get your water boiling for the pasta. Once it's boiling add the pasta. Be sure to add salt!! I also added some beef bullion to the water to give it even more flavor. Cook until done to your preference.
While the pasta is cooking, brown the ground beef with the Italian Seasoning (and any other seasoning you like- sometimes I put minced garlic) I didn't want this sauce to be super meaty so I didn't use much ground beef considering the amount I was making and I chopped the meat up fine, adjust to your preference.
Once the meat & pasta are cooked, strain the pasta and combine the meat, pasta, stewed tomatoes & spaghetti sauce into a LARGE bowl (the one I used is 59 cups) Mix all together well.
Spoon a layer into your pans- (to freezer or use right away) then drop spoonfuls of the cottage cheese on top and spread it out. Sprinkle half of the shredded cheeses on top then layer with more of the pasta & sauce mixture and top with the rest of the shredded cheeses. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted.