This is the traditional Chinese Sweet & Sour Sauce we make to dip Wonton’s in, as well as for other Chinese dishes.
You can make this sauce with or without the pineapple, peppers & onions, or even add sliced carrots.
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained (juice reserved)
- 2 green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 white onion cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 drops orange or red food color
- Juice from pineapple
Mix water & cornstarch together- set aside. Combine all other ingredients and cook to a boil, then remove from heat and add water & cornstarch mixture. Stir occasionally until thick.