On this Friday I was out of town at a business conference. So it was all up to my hubby & kids to make dinner the next 2 nights. Seeing how he was in charge, he went to the store and purchased some foods that I rarely if ever buy (because I can’t bring myself to knowing how processed they are haha) and they enjoyed dinners of Mac & Cheese & Ramen noodles!
A picture of my hubby’s grocery trip:
You may have seen the post in the facebook Dave Ramsey group last week when this happened and although many of the comments were entertaining let me clear up a few things here-
- Just because I don’t buy these foods, doesn’t mean I have a problem with my husband buying them and making them for the kids. They all love them, it’s easy meals, and they don’t get to eat them very often so it’s a treat for them. In fact, I think it’s part of a bonding experience for them and makes their time when I’m not home special “dad” time.
- We always have food in our house. No, I did not go out of town and leave the cupboards bare. There are always dinner options including homemade freezer meals in the freezer at all times. This wasn’t about no other options and the poor hubby had to come up with stuff on his own lol
- My hubby can cook, in fact he is the best on the grill I’ve ever known! And he enjoys cooking. But he also knows that the kids don’t get ramen & mac & cheese unless I’m gone and likes to surprise them and make it a fun night while I’m gone.
- The pictures posted for comparison is only because I found it interesting the different things you can buy for about the same amount of money. That’s all. There is no claim that one is better than the other, or that one is full meals while the other is snacks, etc. Just interesting.
- And to conclude, as I’ve already told others who have messaged me privately about some of the rude or judgemental comments, people will read into things however they want. Their comments/judgements, etc. is more of a reflection on who they are and their issues. I don’t take any of it personally or get offended. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and no matter what it is, it doesn’t affect my life unless I let it, so I choose to be happy and live my happy life no matter what anyone else’s opinions are. 🙂 In fact, my hubby and I got a good laugh once I got home and showed him the post and comments. He even almost posted a funny response to one before remembering he was on my phone/account!! (good thing we caught that one, I can’t even imagine the potential drama!) And that’s really all a lot of it is- drama. I don’t do drama. Just be and let be. Choose to be happy, choose to take anything anyone says as the most positive way the statement could be meant. And if it’s still mean, just understand it’s their issue, not yours. Your happiness is your choice.
I’ll post his grocery trip as a separate post and show the break down of costs. So for this night’s dinner this is the breakdown of costs:
- 5 boxes of Mac & Cheese- $4.99
- 2 packages of Ramen- $0.50
- 7 sodas- $1.17
- Ice Cream- $2.75(the cost of half of the gallon)
Total cost for dinner on this day: $9.41
Running Total Budget for the 30 days used:
Groceries purchased: $304.16
Groceries used in meals: $91.69
Date Night: $56.18
Our budget for these 3 for the 30 days is: Groceries- $600, Date Nights- $100 & Pizza- $100 Since we may not use all the groceries purchased in this time, and will be using some things we have on hand already, we will be tracking both the running total of the best estimated cost of meals each day as well as the cost of groceries/date nights/pizza purchased during the 30 days.