This may sound like an odd combination, but it is the perfect balance between salty, sweet, & savory.
The stuffing on it’s own is very salty- even though you don’t add any salt. But don’t worry, once it’s cooked and eaten with the apple there’s a perfect balance.
I used Thrive Life freeze dried ingredients, but you could just as easily use fresh. You may want to reduce the liquid a bit however since fresh wont absorb the liquid to rehydrate.
For the apples I used honey crisp. You’ll want a sweet vs tart apple for this recipe.
- 8 Large apples (I used honey crisp) cut into bowls
- 1 box stuffing mix
- 1# ground sausage or 1 c. Thrive Life Sausage Crumbles
- 3 stalks of celery chopped or 1/2 c Thrive Life Celery
- 2-3 green onions chopped or 2 T Thrive Life Green Onions
- 1 1/2 c. water (or if using freeze dried ingredients use 2 c. water)
- 2 T Thrive Life or other brand Chicken Stock Powder
Boil the water & chicken stock. Add the sausage, celery, & green onions. Cook for a few mins then remove from heat and add the stuffing mix. Fill apples. Bake at 350* for 20 mins.